Pithla (Gram-chana flour side dish)My in laws came last month here to Australia for Holidays. And today Father in law went for Canberra trip and Im on leave too, so its me and my mother in law for Lunch.
What to cook? So decided to prepare Zanzanit pithla with garama garam chapatis, I know it sounds weired as we eat Pithla with Bhakari. Anyways here is the receipe for Pithla.
1 cup gram flour
3 medium sized onions (cut length wise)
4-5 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
3-4 green chillies chopped
7-8 curry leaves
half bowl fresh chopped coriander
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1) Heat oil in thick bottom pan, add cumin, mustard, chopped chillies after frying for 1-2 min, add onions, curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt, hing, coriander powder. Fry again for 2-3 min on medium flame until onions are translucent.
2) Add water to the mixture (about 1/2 cup).
3) When it starts boiling slowly add gram flour to it, keep on stirring with one hand and add flour by other.
4) Put the lid on , and keep it on low flame for 1-2 min.
5) Sprinkle coriander before serving. Serve with chapati.Can also have raw onions with it.